You’ve heard the term ‘cabin fever’ … it means that stir-crazy feeling you have when you’ve been cooped up inside too long because bad (or really cold) weather prevents you from playing outside. Well, there is absolutely no reason to get that fever this winter! Stay in and MOVE!
- Head to the basement, garage or any other open room (with permission!) and hula hoop, juggle, jump rope or play leap frog!
- It’s a revolution! Dance Dance Revolution, that is. Get the DDR (or other dance game) step pad out … shoosh down a virtual ski slope … take a wet ‘n wild jet ski trip … go bowling or run a marathon … all in front of your favorite game console.
- Take a trip to your local Y or recreation center. Hop in the pool, run the indoor track, shoot some hoops or use the weight room.
the indoor play for those days when it the weather is truly too foul or cold to go outside. When it is sunny or at least bearable, put on the layers, primarily cotton and wool, then go ahead and play outside for a while! Just remember to:
- Make it fun. Build a snowman (even if your parents hope it doesn’t snow this winter) or clean up the yard, take Fido for a walk or go on a winter nature walk.
- Make it family time. Involve everyone in the planning and the play.
- Think of it as homework (or at least tell your folks it is). Kids who get outside to be active behave better, have a higher IQ and high self-esteem! Teachers will agree that kids who miss recess have the most behavior problems.
- Invite friends. Make it a neighborhood or extended family outing so you can have fun with people you may not get to see every day.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.